Pages

Thursday, March 1, 2012

Hummus, Day 3 - Black Bean

For seven years, I filled, and rather enjoyed, the role of "Texas girl".

It was certainly a tough job busting through stereotypes, confirming a few here and there, and representing the largest* (and best, whoop) state in the union, but I suppose someone had to do it.

Now that I've moved back to the Lonestar State, I've experienced quite an interesting phenomenon.

I've developed an outsider's view.

This isn't to say I've lost my Mexican food snobbery or adoration for a good pair of boots.

But, when you go to the rodeo for the first time in five years and your jaw hits the floor and doesn't come back up again for a good hour or so, you (or at least I) know something has changed.

This is entirely bittersweet.

To take this blog to an entirely new level of personal, my primary reason for leaving Texas for school and staying away as long as I did was precisely to develop a more worldly view.

Not because I don't love, adore, and proudly claim Texas as my own.

Quite the contrary.

I saw myself living what I identified as a one-note life, never leaving and thought that would be simply way too boring to be acceptable.

I'm a masochist at heart, and heaven forbid I stick with what and where makes me happy.

So, off I went.

And I loved it. Adored it. Couldn't get enough of it. Until I did.

And now I'm back, having achieved, at least to some degree, my initial goal.

To be entirely and thoroughly open about it (Why not? It's a Thursday...), I'm not quite sure how I feel about the whole thing.

"Where is this soul-baring taking us today?", you may wonder. Or even, "Seriously, Lindsey, quit word vomiting and get on with the new hummus recipe. I want to ogle."

Well, in honor of my soul-searching, and most definite love of my home state, allow me to debut a black bean hummus recipe.

It's a conglomeration of a bunch of different cultures and it's fabulous all in its own right. (please note shoddy attempt at metaphor.)

Ode to Texas - black bean hummus
Servings - 6- 1/4 cup servings

Ingredients

1- 15 ounce can of black beans, rinsed and drained
1/4 cup fresh parsley or cilantro (I loathe cilantro)
2 tablespoons tahini
2 tablespoons water
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon cumin
1/4 teaspoon salt (more if you'd prefer of course)
2 garlic cloves
1 tablespoon jalapeno slices or 1 small jalapeno sliced and deseeded

To Do

Put garlic in food processor and run until chopped fine

Add all remaining ingredients and process until smooth consistency

Devour
Just checkin' out the herb garden from whence it came

Notes on Taste and Texture

I would best describe this as a super jazzed up hummus disguised as a more refreshing black bean dip.

It doesn't have the heavy, brick in your stomach feel, of typical black bean dips at all, which I love.

The jalapeno does add some nice, back of your palate fire, but feel free to neglect it if you're not a spice lover.

It's smoky, refreshing, and oh so very creamy.

Up Next

I'm feeling an Indian inspiration coming on...

*sorry Alaska...

No comments:

Post a Comment