Pages

Friday, March 2, 2012

Hummus, Day 4 - Dessert (Yes, Dessert)

Last night I was entirely unmotivated to put together any sort of hummus for you.

I bargained with myself. Fail.

My sister asked me nicely. Fail.

My sister asked me demandingly. Big fail.

It didn't happen.

This morning, however, I was hit by some sort of virus.

I'm going to call it the virus of unusual morning motivation.

I am not a morning person. Never have been. Never will be.

Except for today.

I woke up, bounded out of bed, went for a jog, and actually found myself grinning the whole way.

Dangerous, dangerous disease, I tell you.

Somewhere around mile 1, I was hit with the motivation to do something extraordinary, a dessert hummus.

It's definitely different, and you may find it slightly controversial, but on a pile of pancakes or belgian waffles, it's divine.

Cinnamon Walnut Hummus
Servings: 6- 1/4 cup servings

Ingredients

1 15 ounce can of chickpeas
1.5-2 tablespoons nut butter (I used peanut butter)
3 tablespoons liquid sugar (I used maple syrup but I bet agave would be delicious)
2 tablespoons Greek yogurt (regular, custard yogurt would do as well)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1.5 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/2 cup walnuts

To Do

Put all ingredients except the walnuts in the food processor and run until smooth.

Put in walnuts and run until desired texture. I liked the bit of crunch, but you're more than welcome to pulverize them into oblivion.

Put on pancakes, waffles, toast, or any other breakfast starch in need of a little sugar, sugar and some sneaky protein.

Taste and Texture Notes

This recipe is entirely versatile.

You may use any nut butter you'd like. I'd even suggest getting creative and using flavored nut butters.

Again, I used maple syrup but different agaves would be delectable.

With the yogurt, I can't help but wonder what a flavored Greek yogurt would do to the dish. Probably make it off the charts awesome.

Finally, with the nuts, you may substitute in your favorite. I bet almond or cashew would rock your socks off.

Up Next

What do you want to see next? Be loud. Be proud. Be vocal.

I'm off to finish enjoying my endorphin high but wouldn't dream of leaving you without much love, affection, and best wishes for a very happy weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment