Pages

Thursday, January 12, 2012

Ding Dong, What a Zinger - Hostess In Kneed of More Dough

Do you think I could have possibly fit anymore puns into this post title? (No really, if you can think of anymore, let me know.)

As you all know by now most certainly, Hostess, the beloved maker of favorites such as Twinkies, Ho Hos, Ding Dongs, Zingers and Hostess Cupcakes has filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy of which they're not expected to recover.

Let's pause for a moment of silence as we all reminisce about our favorite memories with these iconic treats....

                                                      <---- moment of silence

You may find this entirely shocking (*sarcasm*) but I have an opinion. And, it's the yeast I can do during this tragic week in the world of baked goods to rise to the occasion and share it with you. I'm on a roll with the puns. Okay, stopping now and back to my opinion.

It is my humble (pie) opinion (sorry) that this is a direct reflection of the huge shift American culture has experienced during the past decade. Despite what the rest of the world may say, our palates have sophisticated.

We want artisanal chocolate, fair-trade frozen yogurt, exotic ingredients, and organic pastries sans preservatives. We'll save our Twinkie hoarding for the end of the world.

While I'm pained by the idea of a classic slice of Americana fading into our memories, I have to say kudos to us for growing up a bit, at least from a culinary perspective.

What are your fond Hostess memories? Favorite Hostess product? How awesome is this song?

All my love and a box of Twinkies,
L

No comments:

Post a Comment