Pages

Friday, January 27, 2012

Would You Rather and a Ramekin of Chickpeas

I'm hoping you are fully appreciating the fact I reigned in my voracious hunger for the 15 seconds it took to take a medium-par photo...
I had a very intense game of Would You Rather this weekend. Such impossible line-ups as "Jimmy Choo or Manolo Blahnik" were forced upon me. Somewhere around fifteen minutes in, "french fries or chips" came to the table. This was easy for me because I unequivocably enjoy french fries more than chips.

Then a problem happened - enter barbeque chip craving.

Then something divine happened - my teensy little brain wheels started churning.

Then, a near miracle took place - I decided to, and did, make barbeque fried chickpeas. And by that I mean I broiled those suckers til they crunched like none other. We all know I don't have a fryer.

Then I ate 3 cups of them and the world was right and filled with decency again.

You should too.

Chickpea BBQ Poppers

Ingredients

1 15 ounce rinsed and drained can of chickpeas aka garbanzo beans aka hummus makers aka yum in a can
1 tbspn vegetable oil (or any oil your heart desires)
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp chili powder
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1/4 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp hot paprika

To Do

combine all ingredients, put on foil-lined baking sheet, and bake at 450 degrees for 45-50 minutes

rinse off that nasty looking/smelling goop that comes with the chickpeas and drain
In a small bowl, give those chickpeas an nice oil bath. They deserve it after spending lord knows how long with the goop
Put all your spices in the bowl and mix together. Then place on a foil lined baking sheet and plop in a 450 degree oven for 45-50 minutes.
Take them out of the oven and plop them in a little ramekin. This way, you can pretend that you might be sharing.

Problem - I now have a chickpea popper craving...

1 comment:

  1. HAVE to try these, I love chickpeas and love a good idle snack :)

    ReplyDelete