Pages

Wednesday, December 14, 2011

The Great Norwegian Famine

I like history. To be clear, I really adore history. To clear it up further, I discuss my baby sister's world history projects with her not because I'm a fabulous big sister and role model (feel free to argue this), but because I love discussing hundred years old scandals. Sometimes, I read old history textbooks, and I'm currently lapping up every word in a book called "The Middle East, a History".

Now that's cleared up, allow me to clarify that this post is not, I repeat not, about a Norwegian famine hundreds of years ago. Nor is it metaphorical. The Norwegians, who top the rankings in both public and personal wealth, are currently experiencing a textbook famine of the butter variety.

See? Forbe's says so here.

I've never had a reader from Norway, so I say we all celebrate our ample butter supplies with the below cranberry apple butter recipe courtesy of The Flying Biscuit in Atlanta, where butter abounds. Vive le beurre!

Fixins'

  • 2 cups of dark brown sugar
  • 1 cinnamon stick
  • 1 1/4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • 1 teaspoon ground cloves
  • 1 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
  • 2 cups cranberries
  • 10 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, and thinly sliced


  • Simmer first 6 ingredients in saucepan. Add cranberries and cook until they begin to pop. Maybe hold off on putting on your celebratory butter ensemble until after this step.

    Add the apples and cook until tender. Then, cream in food processor or mash with potato masher.

    Enjoy, and if you feel like doing a happy dance, I totally support you.


    No comments:

    Post a Comment